For a child growing up, there are fewer things that can get the blood flowing and adrenaline pumping than a trip to the local playground. What’s not to love? There’s swing sets, slides, jungle gyms, spiral climbers, fire poles, and so much more. Playgrounds allow children to meet new friends and create memories that will last a lifetime, but, for parents, their main concern is making sure the playground is safe and secure. The following article will address the importance of choosing rubber resurfacing for playground flooring.
Nearly 30,000 Canadian children are injured at playgrounds every year. Falls tend to be the most frequent form of injury and usually occur due to adventurous climbing. Swings are also responsible for thousands of falls, which have resulted in numerous head-related injuries. Unfortunately, many of these injuries occur on playground surfaces that are non-shock-absorbent, which can result in more severe injuries.
Before you allow your child to explore a playground, make sure that the playground surface is shock-absorbent. Poured in place, rubber resurfacing boasts the highest safety rating for playground surfacing, while rubber mats are also designed to absorb the impact of a fall adequately. Other playground surfaces like sand or wood chips offer some degree of protection, but not nearly as much as the rigorously tested rubber surfaces.
While accidental trips and falls occur all of the time, in many cases, the accidents could have been avoided if there was enough attention paid to the playground equipment. Before you allow your child to enjoy the playground equipment, be sure to check that:
- The equipment is dry and that there is no baying water that may cause your child to slip
- There are no noticeable tripping risks on or surrounding the playground equipment
- Protective playground surfacing extends nearly 2 metres past the playground equipment
Investing in Rubber Resurfacing
If you’re the owner of playground equipment, investing in poured-in-place rubber resurfacing is a wise decision to make for numerous reasons including:
- Amazing durability – virtually zero risks of splintering
- Easy maintenance
- Maximized safety on playgrounds; uncompromised, level ground that will prevent trips & falls
- Ideal flooring surface to accommodate individuals with physical disabilities/limitations
- Rubber resurfacing does not emit any harmful chemicals or utilize materials such as wood or metal that could cause skin irritation and other health concerns
- The visual aesthetic is noticeably more colourful, vibrant and inviting than traditional playground surfacing materials
The playground should be a place where happy and exciting memories are made, not bad ones. Be sure to follow the steps mentioned above to protect your child as they explore the playground and make new friends. For more information, contact Vancouver Safety Surfacing today!